boy holding a cat
boy holding a cat

Protect against cat parasites

We love our cats, but unfortunately, so do parasites! Keep them protected from common and important parasites with the NEXGARD SPECTRA® Spot-On Solution for Cats. It protects your cat from fleas, ticks, ear mites and worms, including tapeworm.

Two Paragraphs
Flea Life Cycle

Why you need to protect your cat against common parasites

Your cat is the perfect home for parasites – warm, comfortable and with an endless source of nourishment. Fleas are extremely common, yet infestations can easily be prevented.

Applying NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats kills adult fleas before they can lay eggs, thus breaking the lifecycle and preventing future outbreaks. Cats can also get ticks, ear mites, roundworms, hookworms, lungworms and tapeworms.

Broad spectrum worm protection

Three Paragraph


Roundworms are common, particularly in young cats, causing poor growth and runny poo. Eggs can survive for years in the environment.

Roundworms can pass from cat to human, with children at particular risk.


Hookworms, while not a significant problem for most cats in New Zealand, can cause anaemia or tummy upsets in your cat. They are picked up from the environment, and can also pass from pets to humans.

Three Paragraph


Tapeworms are common in cats in New Zealand and are transmitted through the swallowing of infected fleas or eating wild prey (e.g. mice). Some tapeworms can also infect humans.


Lungworms can cause mild coughing through to severe respiratory problems and even death. Cats become infected through eating prey such as birds, rodents and lizards. Cats that have access to the outdoors are at higher risk.

Two Paragraphs
Veterinarian with a dog

Next Generation Parasite Control

NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats has a unique formulation. After over a billion doses of NEXGARD® Chewables and NEXGARD SPECTRA® in dogs globally, we have innovated on the active ingredient afoxolaner and designed esafoxolaner specifically for cats. Combining esafoxolaner with praziquantel and eprinomectin in NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats, provides unmatched protection against the broadest spectrum of parasites in a handy one-and-done solution.

Common FAQs about NexGard Spectra for Cats

What is NEXGARD SPECTRA Spot-On Solution for Cats?

NEXGARD SPECTRA Spot-On Solution for Cats is a parasiticide (i.e. something that kills parasites). It is a liquid containing three active ingredients, applied in one spot on the cat’s neck, to kill worms and ear mites, and provide month long protection against fleas and ticks.

How does NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats work?

There are three active ingredients in NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats. Esafoxolaner targets fleas, ticks and ear mites; eprinomectin targets lungworms, hookworms, and roundworms; and praziquantel targets tapeworms. Each ingredient works in a slightly different way on the target parasite, but broadly speaking, they work by causing the parasite to be unable to regulate their own nervous systems, resulting in the parasite’s death. 

Why should I choose NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats?

There are two good reasons – first, NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats is the most comprehensive parasiticide available for cats in New Zealand, so you can treat for all the main external parasites and internal worms of concern in one simple treatment. The second reason is the monthly treatment intervals. This is perfect for protecting against roundworm which is a significant risk to human health and can pass from cat to human. It takes a roundworm just five weeks to mature and start laying eggs, so monthly treatment stops that. If you leave it longer than five weeks to treat for worms again, that gives the roundworm the opportunity to lay eggs – up to 200,000 per day!

How long does it take NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats to kill fleas?

NEXGARD SPECTRA for Cats will start working within just a few hours of administration. Like all flea treatments, a flea must be exposed to the product in order to be killed. Fleas that jump on your cat will die within 24 hours, before they can reproduce and lay eggs. It is important to understand that only 5% of the flea population lives on pets. The remaining 95% lives in the environment and that means your cat can pick up new fleas when they go out exploring. However, regular monthly treatment will keep your cat protected and prevent flea infestations happening in the home.